Happy National Singing Day!
At The Popcorn Factory, we love to celebrate every occasion… deliciously! We celebrate the holidays, birthdays, any national food days, and now we are celebrating something totally unexpected and original. With a little research, we found out that March 26th is officially National Make Your Own Holiday Day. So we sat there asking ourselves, what would be our ideal holiday? (FYI- National Popcorn Day already exists). So, we decided the best way to discover a new holiday was to ask none other than our Facebook fans! We gave our fans until midnight to answer the golden question, “If you could make your own holiday, what would it be?” We received almost 100 comments! Our fans shared a variety of made-up holidays that were funny, creative, original, and thoughtful.
Here are only a few of our favorites:National Do a Good Deed Day, National Day of Fun, I Get Hugged by Donnie Wahlberg Day, National Smile Day, My Cats Are Gonna Behave Day.
We loved every single made-up holiday that our fans shared, but we knew in the end one had to be declared the winner. So, we present to you… National Singing Day! Who doesn’t love to sing? Whether it’s at karaoke with friends, alone in the car, or just when you catch yourself humming your favorite tune, a day of singing will make anyone smile.
Hear ye, hear ye: We’re overjoyed to announce that January 19 is National Popcorn Day! To help you celebrate the world’s yummiest and most fun snack, we’ve gathered a list of exciting National Popcorn Day activities for you to enjoy with your kids. Plus, we’ve even put together a spankin’ new recipe just for you: Our Tuxedo Chocolate Chip Cookie Popcorn is perfectly dressed for the occasion. So get ready; this is going to be one pop-tastic holiday for the whole family!
National Popcorn Day Activities for the Family
- Help your kids carefully string together some popcorn to create garland. Hang up your delish décor anywhere in your house, or turn it into an outdoor bird feeder by covering it with birdseed.
- Test your kids’ knowledge with a pop quiz! Search the Web for some little-known popcorn facts, and then use them to create a flash card game. At the end of the game, each contestant gets a special popcorn treat as a prize.
- Go to the library and take out some popcorn-themed books that your kids can read while they munch on their favorite snack.
- Print out a bunch of popcorn coloring sheets and let your kids show off their inner pop-casso. Help them proudly display their artwork on the fridge or in a handmade Popsicle stick frame. (Tip: Decorate the frame with glitter and popcorn!)
- Or, make a different kind of pop art: Grab some construction paper and glue, plus a few fun popcorn flavors and colors. Help your kids glue the popcorn to the construction paper to create a masterpiece.
- To end your holiday on a very sweet note, try our special National Popcorn Day recipe below!
Recipe: Tuxedo Chocolate Chip Cookie Popcorn
What You’ll Need
8 chocolate chip cookies with white and milk chocolate chunks
8 cups Peanut Brittle Popcorn*
2 cups semisweet or milk chocolate chips
½ cup white chocolate chips
*Peanut Brittle Popcorn adds a hint of saltiness that perfectly complements the chocolately flavor of the cookies. But if anyone in your family is allergic to peanuts, use another sweet Popcorn Factory flavor instead, like caramel or kettle corn.
- Pour the Peanut Brittle Popcorn into a large mixing bowl.
- Crumble the cookies into tiny bite-sized pieces and add them to the bowl of popcorn. Then, add the white chocolate chips and lightly stir the mixture until the popcorn, cookies and chocolate are well-blended.
- Place the semisweet or milk chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave until it is melted, making sure to stir the chocolate every 30 seconds.
- Once the chocolate has melted, pour it over your popcorn mixture and gently stir it to get an even coating.
- Pour the popcorn mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and spread it out into a thin layer. Cool it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes or until the melted chocolate has completely hardened.
- When it’s ready, break apart your Tuxedo Chocolate Chip Cookie Popcorn into big chunks and enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
How will you and your family celebrate National Popcorn Day?
New York Jets 3-Way Popcorn Tin
Welcome to The Popcorn Factory 1st Place NFC/AFC Championship Game Popcorn Party!
Wow. The Jets knocked off Tom Brady and the Patriots. The Bears will play the Packers in the playoffs for the first time since 1941. And the Steelers advance with a drive in the closing minutes that included a 58-yard pass to rookie Antonio …Brown on third-and-19 (3rd and 19 against the Ravens defense with cover protection). Unbelievable!
Please post about a paragraph or two telling us about how watching football can bring the family and friends together and how popcorn makes that time so much better! We really love it when our popcorn is shared amongst family and friends, so we absolutely love to hear these comments!
Pictured to your left is the New York Jet 3-Way Popcorn Tin. The winners of course can select from their favorite team’s tin, even if that team is eliminated. You can see a list of all football popcorn tins here.
We will select 3 random winners!
Surprise “1st Poster” Winner) #1 Written By Megan McGaughey on January 18th, 2011 @ 7:17 pm
Winner #1) #17 Written By Tamara B. on January 18th, 2011 @ 8:33 pm
Winner #2) #21 Written By Carolyn Fridley on January 19th, 2011 @ 9:44 am
Winner #3) #38 Written By Lisa on January 21st, 2011 @ 12:46 pm
- Indianapolis Colts Popcorn Tin
So there is a bit of popcorn controversy in the popcorn world. controversy in the popcorn world you say, how could that be you ask? Popcorn is fun and great to eat with family and friends. What controversy could possibly exist? Well it surrounds National Popcorn Day. There is a consensus around the idea that National Popcorn Day is at the end of January. But is it on January 19th or on the day of the Superbowl? Okay, okay so to the rest of the world that might not be the biggest controversy around, but here at The Popcorn Factory it’s mighty big and creates quite a few lively discussions around well…the Popcorn Factory!
So we would like to hear your thoughts. Oh by the way, we’re not trying to sway you towards one opinion with that Indianapolis Colts Popcorn tin. It’s just that well Peyton Manning hasn’t had exactly a Peyton Manning-ish season, so we thought we’d show a little support for him.
Anyways, let’s hear your thoughts. In a about a paragraph or two, let us know which day you think National Popcorn Day should be on and how your feelings about popcorn have changed from when you were kid to now as an adult. And how do you feel sharing popcorn as a treat with your kids, nieces, nephews, etc.
We’ll pick 3 lucky winners randomly!
Surprise “1st Post” Winner: Post #1 Written By Bessie Burnsed on January 7th, 2011 @ 7:04 pm
Winner #1) Post #21 Written By Paulette on January 8th, 2011 @ 3:39 am
Winner #2) Post #34 Written By Fidel on January 11th, 2011 @ 8:20 pm
Winner #3) Post #3 Written By Annmarie W. on January 7th, 2011
Go Popcorn! Go National Popcorn Day!